The Acetabulum and Hip Stability | AHF2023 Panel
The first panel discussion at AHF 2023 on “The Acetabulum and Hip Stability” featured input from:
- Dr. Moritz Tannast, University of Fribourg
- Dr. Ronald W. Hillock, Nevada Orthopedic & Spine Center
- Dr. Friedrich Boettner, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Andrew Amundson, HipInsight
- Dr. Anthony T. Carter, Hampton Road Orthopedics
- Dr. Sharat Kusuma, Exactech
- Dr. John Masonis, OrthoCarolina
- Dr. Ken Mathis, UTHealth Houston
Highlights include: –
- Discussion about the use of dual mobility implants and their potential impact on dementia patients. – Concerns were raised about the use of cobalt chrome in dual mobility implants and its possible association with neurodegenerative diseases.
- Debate on the role of surgical technique and skill in reducing dislocation rates in hip replacement surgeries.
- Discussion on the measurement of femoral and cup angles in hip surgeries and the importance of accurate radiographic criteria.
- Mention of hip resurfacing as a potential option for certain patients, especially in cases where a smaller femoral neck is preferred.