Anterior Hip Foundation Innovation Symposium 2023 Las Vegas
Advancing Anterior Hip Approach with Technology
Our mission remains committed to challenging the status quo, learning new ways to approach a problem, and creating future solutions.
Register AHF 2023
Sponsored fellows and residents do not need to register
Join us in Las Vegas on 5-6 May 2023 for the AHF Innovation Symposium: “Advancing Anterior Hip Approach with Technology.”
We have hands-on labs, lively discussions of controversial topics and debates about current technologies, presentations, panels and more.
The popular Ortho Shark Tank is back – where a new round of participants will introduce their innovative products and solutions to our Sharks.
Registration begins at 7 am on May 5th outside the Beethoven Conference Center.
AHF Hotel Room Block Reservation
May 4, 2023 – May 6, 2023
All attendees, please use this link to reserve your room(s).
Alternatively, use room block code when making a reservation: 6HIP0523
Call: 1(702) 770-7000.
Our Founder Sponsors
Anterior Hip Advanced
Join the program’s debates and dialogues and share your opinions.
Continue the conversation with face-to-face interactions.
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks, wi-fi and other benefits are included, as well as specially negotiated AHF resort room discounts.
- Course agenda permits easy arrival on Thursday evening and departures back on Saturday afternoon.
- The Exhibitor hall is located immediately adjacent to the conference room to provide attendees with ample opportunities to check out the latest tools, technologies and innovations from leading vendors.
- The 2023 program will take place in a high-end 9,000+ square foot conference center including patio space, with excellent opportunities for demonstrations and conversations.
- 20+ guest lecturers to stimulate debate and inspire innovation in your own practice.
- Emphasis areas to include advancements in technologies, techniques and new insights in the field of anterior approach THA.
- The agenda includes the popular Shark Tank featuring presentations from orthopedic start-ups.
- Fellows and Residents have the opportunity to get first-hand experience of anterior approach total hip arthroplasty in the Cadaver Lab.
Bring your challenging cases to discuss! The intimate nature of the event gives each attendee unrivalled access to the foremost thinkers in the field of joint replacement.
Ortho Shark Tank - 2023
Showcasing New Technologies
Our Ortho Shark Tank session will feature presentations of technologies currently in development and has been hugely popular with our audience in the past.
- Innovators and Medical Companies will present their latest technologies to a panel of industry representatives, experts and investors.
- Be the first to see what these companies are working on.
- You don’t want to miss the excitement as these innovators try to make their case before time is up!
Ortho Shark Tank - 2023 Application
Are you brave enough to face the AHF Sharks?
- present your technology to industry leaders
- gain valuable feedback for your start-up
- gain exposure among a community of orthopedic surgeons
The highly successful Cadaver Lab will be back for 2023, where we aim to host a new cohort of orthopedic Fellows and Residents.
An exclusive opportunity to introduce technologies and devices to the next generation of orthopedic surgeons.
- Sponsorships are available to cover:
- Participation in the educational cadaver lab opportunity.
- Pre-course video lectures covering the technique of anterior approach THA.
- Registration for the AHF Innovation Symposium Event.
- Up to $1,400 reimbursement for travel and accommodation expenses.
- Transportation to and from the cadaver lab location from the Encore Wynn Hotel.
Resident & Fellow Cadaver Lab Application
- Taking place the day before the conference (4th May), Fellows and Residents are able to get hands on experience with anterior total hip arthroplasty, learning from some of the best in in the industry.
Our 2023 Diamond Sponsors
Please wait for the PDF to load. Thank you.
Our 2023 Titanium Sponsors
AHF 2023 INNOVATION SYMPOSIUM PROGRAM DRAFT (3/20/23 update)
Thursday 4 May 2023
- Thursday De Puy Synthes Sponsored - Anterior Approach THA Cadaver Lab Opportunity 8 AM - 4 PM
We are excited to announce that the Anterior Hip Foundation will sponsor 72 fellows and residents to participate in a hands-on, anterior total hip cadaver lab.
Instruction will be provided by Anterior Hip Foundation faculty including Joel Matta, MD, Charles DeCook, MD, and Alexander San, MD. Lab sponsors include DePuy Synthes, Medtronic and Mizuho OSI.
Friday 4 May 2023
Friday Session 1:
Acetabulum and Hip stability
Moderator: Dr. Joseph Schwab
More version, less inclination.
Where’s best to place the cup? 8:30-8:38 AM
Dr. Moritz Tannast University of Fribourg
How I hit the cup target more reliably each time 8:40-8:48 AM
Understanding the spino-pelvic relationship 8:50-8:58 AM
Dr. Friedrich Boettner, Hospital for Special Surgery
Technology saves the day!
Making the spinopelvic conundrum simpler 9:00-9:08 AM
Not all Dual-Mobility designs are the same 9:10-9:18 AM
Dr. John Masonis from Orthocarolina
Bigger is better, and two is better than
one- the case for dual-mobility 9:20-9:28 AM
Dual mobility- when is it the right answer? 9:30-9:40 AM
Panel Discussion 9:40-10:05 AM
Friday Session 2:
Femoral techniques and fixation
Moderator Dr. Tania Ferguson
How to optimize Leg length & Offset restoration with the anterior approach 10:30-10:38 AM
Dr. Charles Lawrie, Baptist Health South Florida
Advanced technology to achieve hip soft tissue balance 10:40-10:48 AM
Techniques for femoral exposure in primary and revision surgery 10:50-10:58 AM
Dr. Tony Carter, Hampton Road Orthopedics
How to make femoral extraction easier and safer through an anterior approach 11:00-11:08 AM
The return of cement- even through the anterior approach 11:10-11:18 AM
Dr. J. Bohannon Mason
Making the case for cemented femoral fixation in the US today 11:20-11:28 AM
Point-Counterpoint: To cement or not to cement? That is the question. 11:30-11:40 AM
Panel Discussion 11:40 AM -12:05 PM
Friday Session 3:
Perioperative efficiencies and outcomes
Moderator: Dr. Kris Corten
Patient monitoring technologies- what’s it tells me, and is it the future? 1:20-1:28 PM
Dr. Kris Alden, Hinsdale Orthopaedics
Data collection will lead to better outcomes 1:30-1:38 PM
Incision approaches and wound management, the techniques and technologies that help 1:40-1:48 PM
Dr. Juan Suarez, Baptist Health Florida
How a cannula makes Anterior approach THA unique 1:50-1:58 PM
The role of negative pressure dressing for primary incisions 2:00-2:08 PM
What's new in your OR for 2023? 2:10-2:30 PM
Panel Discussion 2:30-2:55 PM
Friday Session 4:
ORTHO SHARK TANK
Moderator: Dr. Charlie DeCook
Saturday 5 May 2023
Saturday Session 5:
ASC considerations for 2023 and beyond
Patient Selection post-covid, how things have changed 8:30-8:45 AM
Surgeons are athletes:
the effect of automated component impaction on ergonomics,
fatigue and stress in total hip arthroplasty 8:45-9:00 AM
Dr. Kristoff Corten
ASC versus hospital, which cases belong where? 9:00-9:15 AM
Dr. Robert Mayle
Time metrics: transparency leads to efficiency 9:15-9:30 AM
Dr. Charles DeCook
Bundles and contracts, maximizing profitability 9:30-9:45 AM
Revisions in ASC, which ones and how to do them 9:45-10:00 AM
Available technologies for the ASC, and what’s needed TBD
Saturday Session 6:
Advancing anterior hip surgery
Moderator: Dr. Joel Matta
Video Spotlight- Primary anterior hip tips & tricks 10:15-10:25 AM
Dr. Nicholas H. Mast, Hip and Pelvis Institute of San Francisco
Every hip fracture should be done from the front!
Fractures and hemis through the anterior approach 10:25-10:35 AM
Dr. Tania Ferguson, Nashville Hip and Pelvis
The Ultimate Soft tissue Sparing Procedure (USP Hip):
how to save the lateral circumflex vessel in DAA Hip surgery 10:35-10:45 AM
Dr. Kristoff Corten, The European Hip Clinic
Tips and tricks for revision surgery through the anterior approach 10:45-10:55 AM
Dr. Philip Kregor, Hip and Fracture Institute, Nashville
Video Spotlight- How I approach revision through the anterior approach 10:55-11:05 AM
Dr. Jonathan Yerasimides, Louisville Hip and Knee Institute
You did what through an anterior approach?
How to deal with complex cases 11:05-11:15 AM
Dr. Joseph Schwab, University of Fribourg
The future of Anterior Hip Replacement-
what's still needed and where are we going 11:15 - 11:45 AM
Dr. Joel Matta
Dr. Nicholas H. Mast
Dr. Kristoff Corten
Dr. Juan Suarez
Dr. Charles DeCook
Wrap up and Closing Remarks 11:45 - 11:50 AM
Saturday Anterior Hip Advanced BioSkills Lab
- Saturday Anterior Hip Advanced BioSkills Lab 1:00-4:00 PM
Please join Zimmer Biomet for this hands-on experience.
Tentative agenda :
o 12:30pm Shuttle departs Encore/Wynn Hotel
o 1:00pm Lunch at the lab
o 1:30pm Anterior Hip Advanced BioSkills Lab
o 4:00pm Adjourn